Other projects this post is relevant for: YouTube channels, data driven campaigns on other platforms.
Eric creates compilation videos of music artists that he likes. The simple premise has been successful, as his very first video ‘i like brockhampton‘ has over 90,000 views to date. Eric has the ability to create these videos because of his skills in video editing and the general enjoyment behind making them. The assistance I am providing Eric is less on the production side and more about making strategic decisions about the creation and curation of the videos.
For example, being able to understand the particular analytics behind his videos is something that Eric has little experience in. Analytics provide greater insight into the effectiveness of strategies, or can be a great place to start when planning new campaigns (Filipkowski 2017). Massive data collection methods and the constant improvement of technology has allowed for analytics to be available at ease, for projects big or small (Single Grain Team 2018).
Credit: PhotoMIX Ltd.
There are a variety of analytical tools available for data collection and visualisation. For instance, Google Analytics is an industry standard tool for collecting data about your website. Social media platforms also have tools available for analytics, these are often directly built into the platform. Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are among the social media channels with built in tools.
Let’s take a look at Eric’s data using the in built YouTube Analytics tool which can be accessed from the YouTube Creator Studio. Firstly, you can find basic information about how your channel numbers are doing, including your subscriber and view counts. You can also see the increase percentage based on a time frame of your choice.
Analytics about your demographic can also be found, letting you know the age, gender and country of your audience.
However, Eric’s videos are already targeting his popular age range and country demographic. A more relevant piece of data is the conversion rate. This piece of data is displayed through a marketing funnel, showing the users first interaction (seeing the video before clicking on it) all the way down to conversion (watching the YouTube video).
The impressions refer to how many people saw the video before clicking on it, and an important thing to note is that 97.5% is from YouTube recommending the videos to viewers. The remaining 2.5% comes from organic searches. 90.7K views means that only 7.3% of people who saw Eric’s videos actually clicked on them. The watch time being 210.8K means that the average time people spent on a video was 2:19 minutes, and with Eric’s most popular video being 4:30 minutes, people generally only watched half the video.
We used this information in preparation for Eric’s second installment to the series ‘I like Tyler The Creator‘, which is 2:27 minutes in length to better suit the average time that viewers watch Eric’s content. However, the most interesting piece of data is how many of Eric’s viewers are subscribed to him.
Only 0.1% of Eric’s views come from subscribers. It could be argued that this is because he only has 117 current subscribers, however that means many of the 90.7K views didn’t subscribe to the channel. The biggest takeaway from this data is that the high views on Eric’s ‘i like brockhampton’ video will not be consistent as of yet. This will come when a high subscriber count is built and this audience consistently watches the channels videos.
The fact that 97.5% of the impressions were gained from YouTube’s recommendations also indicates that if Eric continues to make consistent and similar content, YouTube will continue to recommend his videos and create more virality. The analytics will begin to fluctuate as Eric uploads more videos, we will continue to assess this data and make strategic decisions as a result of this.
Check out Eric’s YouTube Channel at ErickArtifact and subscribe for his future content. Subscribe to my blog for future posts where I break down the help I provide to other projects, which can act as a resource for current and future projects of similar nature.
Filipkowski 2017, ‘Why Digital Marketing Analytics Are So Important’, SEO Twist, 2 November, viewed 5 September 2018, <https://www.seotwist.com/blog/digital-marketing-analytics-important/>.
Single Grain Team 2018, Why Digital Marketing Analytics Matter To Your Business, viewed 5 September 2018, <https://www.singlegrain.com/blog-posts/analytics/why-digital-marketing-analytics-matter/>.